SBID launches product design awards

By Elspeth Pridham
February 12, 2020

The Society of British and International Interior Design (SBID) has announced the launch of its Product Design Awards.

The event celebrates the finest design, innovation and functionality for products within the residential and commercial interior design sectors.

Now open for entries , the competition invites product, industrial and interior designers from around the  globe – as well as manufacturers and suppliers – to propose original products realised in the last two years across 17 categories: accessories; bathroom product; brassware; cabinetry & joinery; fabric & textiles; furniture – contract; furniture – residential; heating & cooling; ironmongery & metalwork; kitchen product; leisure & wellbeing; lighting; outdoor; sanitaryware; sound & vision; and surfaces & finishes.

Entries close on Friday 13 March 2020, with winners chosen via a three-step process.

A technical judging panel will evaluate entries’ professional merit and determine the finalists, which will be announced on 9 April.

From this selection, a jury representing a broad range of design skills and connections will decide 70% of the winners’ scores, with the remaining 30% being the result of an online public vote that will be live until 30 April.

The judging panel includes Karim Rashid, president at Karim Rashid Inc.; Vasiliki Petrou, group CEO and executive vice president at Unilever Prestige; Kar-Hwa Ho​, head of interior architecture at Zaha Hadid Architects; and Dr. Vanja Garaj, head of design at the Department of Design, Brunel University London.

The awards ceremony will take place at the Grosvenor House Hotel, Park Lane, on Friday, 5 June 2020